Anxiety Help for Fears and Phobias
Looking for anxiety help? If you struggle with panic attacks, chronic worry, social phobia, generalized anxiety disorder, phobias or obsessive compulsive disorder, here's help that’s practical and powerful.
Anxiety disorders are generally very treatable, but when you experience one, you probably find it hard to overcome. The reason is that, while you have the ability to recover, anxiety literally Tricks you into using methods which make your fears worse rather than better.
This is the most natural thing in the world. Anxiety often feels like something that has invaded your life, something you have to resist and oppose. However, the worst problems come from our efforts to resist and remove anxiety, rather than from the anxiety itself.
People don’t get fooled by this trick entirely on their own. All too often, well meaning friends, doctors, and therapists get fooled by it as well, and unwittingly suggest methods to their patients which make the situation worse.
For instance, there’s a well publicized technique called “thought stopping”, in which snapping a rubber band against your wrist is supposed to help rid you of anxious thoughts. This is not the kind of anxiety help you need! It doesn't work, because the more you tell yourself not to think something, the more you’ll think about it.
If you want a quick demonstration right now, take two minutes and don’t think about dancing elephants.
See what I mean? Don’t even think about thought stopping!
When anxiety Tricks you, you get fooled into using recovery methods which actually make your fears stronger and more persistent. The more you fight an anxiety disorder, the more it grows. It’s like putting out fires with gasoline.
People who struggle with chronic anxiety often say "the harder I try, the worse it gets". This scares them, and makes them think they can't recover. What it really means is they've been using methods that made it worse, and they need new methods.
Here on this site, you’ll find anxiety help that works. I’ll show you the anxiety treatment methods I’ve used in Chicago to help people overcome fears, phobias, and panic attacks for the last 20 years. You can use these therapy methods to outsmart the Anxiety Trick and achieve your own recovery from anxiety disorders.
Dave Carbonell, Ph.D.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
- Anxiety Help Blog
- The Anxiety Help Blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the Anxiety Coach web site. Subscribe here.
- Continuing Education Workshops About Treating Anxiety Disorders
- Continuing Education and consultation services about the treatment of anxiety disorders
- Overcome Anxiety Disorders by Beating the Anxiety Trick
- This Recovery Guide to anxiety disorders shows you how to beat the Anxiety Trick, and describes powerful ways to overcome fears and phobias.
- Overcoming Anxiety: First Steps
- What are the first steps to overcoming anxiety? Where do you go, how do you find help with an anxiety disorder? Free suggestions from an expert.
- Anxiety Treatment in the Chicago area
- Looking for anxiety treatment in or near Chicago? Here is effective, practical cognitive behavioral treatment of fears and phobias.
- Panic Attacks Help: Overcome Panic & Anxiety Attacks!
- Here is Panic Attacks Help that's practical and powerful. Dr. Carbonell's Panic Attacks Workbook will guide you to recovery from panic attacks.
- Beat the Anxiety Trick: How to Overcome chronic anxiety
- The Anxiety Trick. Do you fight anxiety, but feel more stuck? It's not your fault. The surprising truth about overcoming chronic anxiety.
- Exposure Therapy for Fears and Phobias
- Exposure therapy is the most effective treatment for anxiety disorders. You might already know that. How does it overcome anxiety? Learn how.
- Panic Disorder: Solving the Trick of Anxiety Attacks
- Panic Disorder can trick you into a life of fear. Here you can learn a strategy and self help tools to help you undo the the Panic Trick
- Agoraphobia: What is it? How do I recover?
- Agoraphobia is a condition in which people avoid ordinary places and activities for fear of a panic attack. It can severely limit your life.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder: How to Beat the Worry Trick
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder is the Worry Disease. Learn how to put chronic worry in its place.
- Overcome Emetophobia: Fear of Vomiting
- Emetophobia is a Fear of Vomiting. Many people suffer in shame and secrecy, unaware it's common enough to have a name. Learn how to overcome it.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: How to Let Go of your Fears!
- Social Anxiety Disorder tricks you and creates a life of quiet avoidance. Don't be fooled! Learn to break free of Social Anxiety and Shyness.
- Overcome Fear of Flying with practical, powerful methods.
- Fear of Flying? Whether you fear crashing or Claustrophobia, you can overcome this. Learn how. Free self help info. Professionally led classes.
- Does Fear of Driving limit you? How to get back on the road.
- Does fear of driving complicate your life? Phobia doctor offers helpful tips for overcoming driving phobia, and a free chapter from his book.
- Specific Phobias: Common and Treatable
- What are specific phobias? What causes them? What is the cure?
- Overcome Fear of Public Speaking
- The fear of public speaking can disrupt careers and lead to countless sleepless nights. Learn how to solve the problem of public speaking anxiety.
- Mastering Performance Anxiety and Stage Fright
- Does performance anxiety block and frustrate your ambitions? Learn how to master the problem of stage fright.
- Overcome OCD: Recovery tips for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Overcome OCD: What You Need to Know. Tips from an expert for overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
- Anxiety Scams on the Internet? Let the Buyer Beware!
- Anxiety scams seem common on the Internet. Here's how to separate the help from the hype.
- Overcome Trichotillomania: An End to Compulsive Hair Pulling
- 10 million Americans suffer, in shame and secrecy, with the compulsive hairpulling known as trichotillomania. Learn how to overcome this problem!
- Nervous Sweating is an embarrassing problem. How to relieve it.
- Nervous sweating is a specialized case of Social Anxiety Disorder. Learn how it works, and how to manage it, to lose your fear of sweating.
- Anxiety Humor: Sometimes it Helps to Laugh!
- Anxiety humor: People struggle against panic attacks, but finding the funny parts can be a big help. Here's Dr. Carbonell's funny songs, and more.
- A breathing exercise that calms panic attacks.
- Troubled by Panic Attacks? Can't get a deep breath? Here's a breathing exercise that restores comfortable breathing, and calms panic attacks.
- My Anxiety Videos
- My Anxiety Videos
- Contact Dr. Carbonell by phone or contact form
- Contact Form
- Anxiety Coach® newsletter
- The Anxiety Coach® newsletter
- Anxiety Information
- Anxiety Disorders Links